Job Description: Head of School
Founded in 1966, Knoxville Montessori School is the oldest established Montessori school in Knoxville. We provide a high-quality education in a diverse, supportive, and nurturing environment. KMS is a nonprofit private school that serves children 2.5 – 12 years old with the scheduled addition of a Middle School (12 – 15 years old) in the Fall of 2022. KMS is governed by a Board of Directors comprised of parents, staff, and community members and is accredited by The International Montessori Council and validated by the Montessori Alliance of Tennessee.
Description – About this Role
As KMS grows its enrollment and physical campus, candidates are invited to apply for a new Head of School position. The primary role of the Head of School will be to work with and provide oversight to a dedicated team of teachers and administrators and to work in partnership with our board of directors to lead us into the next chapter of our story: the addition of a middle school program, an additional primary classroom, and expanding our physical footprint to additional property in the historic and beautiful Sequoyah Hills community. This is a multi-faceted role for an administrator with Montessori training to uphold our strong educational model and a community-focused collaborator, skilled in building partnerships through outreach efforts that will create long lasting investment in KMS for our students.
The Head of School reports to the board of directors and will be responsible for providing leadership to the entire campus team. As such, it is your job to enthusiastically and positively represent KMS and serve as “the face” of the school to both internal and external stakeholders, including but not limited to: parents, teachers, students, community members, donors, alumni, new families, media, vendors, and all other neighbors. This is a 12-month position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to these chief areas:
• Leading KMS through a strategic plan that creates pathways for long-term sustainability and success
• Creating a strong culture that embodies the mission of our organization
• Building a strong community among staff, parents, and children
• Ensuring overall profitability targets are met (including managing campus budget)
• Collaborating with the administrative team to ensure enrollment and advancement targets are met
• Developing and directing all marketing and outreach efforts
• Hiring, supporting, developing, and managing teaching staff
Benefits + Salary
In addition to joining a highly-skilled teaching and administrative team and dedicated board of directors, the head of school will receive: ongoing professional development, Montessori training, paid time off, retirement plan, competitive salary, tuition discounts, supplemental commission pay, retirement plan. The salary range for this position is $60,000-$70,000, depending on experience.
We would love to speak with you if you possess the following:
• Passion for children and Montessori education
• Bachelor’s degree
• Montessori experience and/or certification
• Human resources or staff management experience
• Proactive and creative problem solving skills
• Effective and transparent communication and experience communicating with different audiences
• Confidence as an engaging leader with a track record of developing and cultivating relationships within a local community – participating in community and outreach events to increase awareness of an organization’s mission and needs
• An aptitude for creating a warm and compassionate team culture
You will be preferred over other candidates if you additionally possess the following:
• Master’s degree in Education / Business or Nonprofit Administration
• Understanding of educational standards and compliance management
• Marketing or communications background
Montessori teaching or administrative experience is a key component to success in this position.
Please send your letter of interest and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.