South Bend,IN, usa
Good Shepherd Montessori School
Head of School Position
Posting Close Date: January 1, 2022
Position Start Date: July 1, 2022
Good Shepherd Montessori School, a well respected PS-8th co-educational, independent school in South Bend, Indiana, seeks a dynamic, caring, knowledgeable leader for their Head of School position. Good Shepherd is an independent, high fidelity Montessori school accredited by the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS) and a full member of the American Montessori Society (AMS). Though informed by the Christian tradition, we welcome people of all cultural, spiritual, and faith based backgrounds. Committed to a tradition of land based learning and environmental justice, we are situated on a unique campus and home to an urban farm in the heart of our community. Relationality and living in “right relationship” are at the core of our mission and daily work. Founded in 2002 with 16 children, Good Shepherd has grown to over 160 children with the loving support of benefactors, community member respect, and committed families. Our wider home of South Bend is a robust college community with seven universities, a growing medical community, and a strong not for profit culture. The city is a vibrant, diverse community with potential and was recently named one of the top-performing small cities in the United States (between 100,000-500,000 residents) by the Resonance Consultancy.
As our founder and long-serving Head of School Daniel Driscoll moves out of his role in June of 2022, Good Shepherd is ready for the next phase of growth and development while simultaneously upholding its commitment to rigorous, joyful education, and an unsurpassed community of practice. Our current school staff has almost 250 years of collective experience at the school. Collegiality is a hallmark of our institution and we seek a leader who will continue to embrace and expand the ethos of belonging to an even wider constituency.
The Head of School’s most important role is to ensure educational practice that is healthy, holistic, and joyful, for everyone involved, with the best interest of the child at the forefront of our work at all times. In addition to overseeing educational practices, school culture, curriculum and instruction, the Head of School is responsible for the overall management of the school, in accordance with board policies. Mentoring and supporting the school’s teachers and staff with a developmental, collaborative mindset is central to the role. The Head of School is also the primary spokesperson and point of contact for the school with all its internal and external constituencies including students, parents, faculty, staff, alumni, neighbors, benefactors, business community, governmental agencies, and local, state, regional and national educational organizations, and accrediting bodies. Ultimately, the incoming Head of School will develop a vision for leading Good Shepherd into the next two decades with a focus on sustainable resources and longevity as a community pillar.
This position is an excellent opportunity for a school leader, an educator with some administrative experience, or a not for profit leader to advance the mission of the school, be a beacon of powerful educational practice for the wider world, and continue to solidify the foundation of our school for future generations of students.
We are excited about your interest in our unique mission and the position of Head of School for Good Shepherd Montessori School. Please see the City of South Bend resources including our Chamber of Commerce, Community Foundation of St. Joseph County and Visit South Bend for more information on our local community.
To apply, we ask that you please submit the following as a single PDF with a file name that includes your full name and submission date) to email@example.com :
1. Cover letter sharing qualifications and why you would be well suited specifically to the Good Shepherd Montessori School environment.
2. A current resume or CV
3. A one page single spaced personal statement around education, leadership, and the holistic development of the child.
4. A list of four references complete with full names/titles, a phone number, and a functional email address. (References will be contacted later in the process and only with candidate permission).
Our search will be confidential until the finalists are selected.
1. Bachelor’s degree in an appropriately related field.
2. 3+ years of teaching or teaching adjacent experience
3. Demonstrated leadership in educational or education adjacent setting
4. Commitment to faith based education
5. Adherence to the mission of Good Shepherd Montessori
6. Willingness to lead, grow, mentor, and develop within a unique educational environment
7. Development/Fundraising acumen and experience
1. AMS/AMI Montessori credential (Guide, Administrator/Management, Core Principles) OR willingness to complete credentialing within the first 18-24 months of employment.
2. Master’s Degree in Education or Education related/adjacent field.
3. Demonstrated experience and success in a Montessori environment