Invitation to Join Catskill Montessori School
Seeking Early Childhood 3-6 Guide for Fall 2023
OPPORTUNITY: Catskill Montessori School (CMS) is a private, non-profit school inspired by permaculture ethics of people care, earth care, and fair share on 63 acres nestled between the Mahicannituck and the Catskill Mountains. CMS operates on a balanced schedule, with programming running throughout the school year with intermittent breaks. CMS is equidistant from Boston and New York City (about two hours). With many quaint towns nearby, including Hudson, with Amtrak service to NYC, Catskill offers the charm, culture, and environment of the Hudson Valley.
Our school opened its doors in the fall of 2020 with one early childhood 3-6 class and one 6-9 elementary class in a restored 1750s barn along with a budding permaculture farm. We now serve toddlers through 6th grade, with the blueprint to expand to include a Secondary program (12-18) as our students rise each year. In addition, our permaculture farm has grown to include a working greenhouse, apple orchards, an outdoor/forest classroom, and farm animals including Nigerian dwarf goats, rabbits, hens, and runner ducks.
JOB DESCRIPTION: We are seeking a MACTE Montessori EC 3-6 Guide. The Guide will work with the rest of the teaching team (another Lead Guide and Assistant) to provide a warm, nurturing, and safe environment where self-direction is enhanced, independence is encouraged, and individuality is respected.
* Have previous experience working in a Montessori classroom environment.
* Have previous experience working with early childhood students in a classroom environment.
* Can work well and positively as part of a team; basic computer skills and knowledge of Google Workspace are helpful.
* Embrace a curriculum that embodies our founding ethos of People Care, Fair Share, and Earth Care.
* Skilled classroom manager, inspiring children to be their best selves and patiently coaching them through solution-finding processes.
* Embrace outdoor experiences in all kinds of weather conditions.
* Able to work between 8:15 a.m. and 4:15 p.m. daily. (once hired, applicants can choose to increase base pay by working during our Session Camps)
* Early Childhood 3-6 MACTE credential or other Montessori training; those in the midst of training are also strongly encouraged to apply!
* Interest or experience in farming, permaculture, or similar fields is a big plus!
* Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
COMPENSATION: This is a full-time position with a competitive salary (commensurate with experience) and other benefits as outlined in the Staff Handbook (such as health and a 401(k)).
ONSITE STAFF HOUSING: Catskill Montessori School has limited on-site staff housing available. Candidates interested in onsite housing should include that in their cover letter.
APPLY: If you’re interested in joining our school community, please send your resume and cover letter to the address below. A teaching license/credential is not required for this role. Black people, Indigenous people, people of color (BIPOC), lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and gender diverse people are all strongly encouraged to apply. Our school community seeks to help each child build the adult of their future and engender respect for the differences of others doing the same. Part of this includes developing an appreciation for and building a community with those of different spiritual beliefs, cultural heritages, racial and gender identities, economic backgrounds, and other affiliations. The land surrounding and supporting the school also inspires and informs our work as we guide the children on a journey to become global citizens and stewards of this land and our planet.
Gaurapriya Tester, Head of School